A Taste Of The Orient by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello, I have a mixed media creation to share this week with a decided taste of the orient about it as I wanted to show how versatile that my floral stamps can be and what better than a poppy for a vibrant eastern style piece of artwork.

I took one of the 4.5 x 9 inch MDF panels and using texture paste, stencilled on a pattern with the new decorative flower stencil and when dry, gave it a good coat of black multi surface paint for my under layer.

I then brushed on a thin coat of the new crackle glaze (if you watched Neil on the last Hochanda shows, he says the thinner the coat, the better the crackle) and let this dry. I then over brushed with metallic antique gold multi surface paint. As you'll see from the photo below, the metallic paint doesn't crackle much compared to the non metallic colours but it still gives a worn, antique look which I rather like.




I next prepared my poppy embellishment using the matching white/greyboard shape (the brainwave of Laura and Graham) which I painted with a mix of red and orange multi surface paints, adding a touch of green to the stalk and then stamping on the sequin waste texture image with Fired Brick Oxide ink. When everything was dry, I stamped on the poppy image with black ink and heat embossed it with clear powder.




My next step was to prepare a couple of contrasting background panels, following my chosen colour scheme of red, black and gold. I wanted a strong contrast for the poppy so I cut a piece of metallic gold card and used the decorative flower stencil with black multi surface paint to add the pattern.

I then made a contrasting mat, tearing the edges of a slightly larger piece of mixed media paper and painting it bright red around the edges only (no point using paint on something that will be covered up!), stamping on the sequin waste with Fired Brick oxide ink.

I stamped my quote on a scrap of mixed media paper coloured the same way as the red stamped mat and assembled the panel as shown.

Supplies:

That's Crafty! Fanciful Flowers Clear Stamp Sets 1 and 2
That's Crafty! Textures Collection Stamp Set 4
That's Crafty! White/Greyboard Matches - Fanciful Flowers Set 2
That's Crafty! White Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Crackle Glaze
That's Crafty! 8 x 8 Stencil - Decorative Flowers TC8039
That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints
Tim Holtz Fired Brick Oxide Ink
VersaFine Onyx Black Ink
Clear Embossing Powder
Extras - Gold Card, White Mixed Media Paper

I hope you enjoyed visiting the East with me and will see you again next week. In the meantime, hoping to have a lovely and perhaps crafty weekend.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Loving the oriental twist you’ve given this piece
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oriental look of this is beautiful - such gorgeous colours. Your flower is a stunning centrepiece! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read the post.. very well explained. simple steps to follow.. A lovely card..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous contrast of colours, your flower plays an important focal piece in your design Fliss and she's framed beautifully.
    Wishing you a super weekend Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is gorgeous, Fliss, the flower looking almost as if you had embroidered it , so beautiful,
    and on that elegant background, --it could not look more fabulous, my friend.
    Hugs, Dorthe , xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fliss, this is so pretty and the colours perfectly conjure up the Orient xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook